Daiku Dojo -- Interesting Web Links
Japanese Woodworking Web Sites
Other Woodworking Web Sites
Japanese Tools Vendors
Other Tools Vendors
The Japan Blade is owned by Alex Gilmore. He has a nice inventory of NOS (New Old Stock) Japanese tools and natural waterstones. Contact Alex at Alx Gilmore on the Japanese Woodworking Forums.
Hida Tool is a
one-stop shop for all your Japanese tools needs. Because of the high quality
of the tools they sell there, you should expect to pay a premium.
Designs was the sole distributor of saws and tools by Yataiki, a
living legendary blacksmith. Also check out the Chuttaro Imai sword-steel
chisels and Yamaguchi planes. Supreme high end tools. Their hardwares and
shoji papers will really add that special touch to your project. Unfortunately,
Yataiki retired in early 2008 and Kayoko has moved back to Japan to take care
of her mother and Yataiki.
- Suzuki Tool
Woodworker was the first provider of traditional Japanese woodworking
tools for western woodworkers.
Tools (Hiraide USA) is the provider of high end Japanese woodworking
tools and the sole US distributor of Shapton stones.
Atsuji Omichi Web Site - Maker of the yari kanna.
Japan Tool (Australia)
Recommended Reading List For Traditional Japanese Handtools And Joinery
- Connections-Introduction To California Daiku Woodworking-Bringing Traditional Japanese Hand Tools And Joinery Techniques To Modern Hands, Jay Vanarsdale- 2 Hr DVD- Californiadaiku.com. '11.
- Japanese Hand Planes-The Workings And Wonders Of Kanna, Jay Vanarsdale, 2hr dvd, CaliforniaDaiku.com 2009
- Shoji-designing, building and installing Japanese Screens, Jay van Arsdale, Kodansha, Int., 1988
- Introduction To Japanese Woodworking, Jay Van Arsdale, Azo Publishers, 1989 (70 - Min. Video)
- Complete Japanese Joinery, Hedeo Sato, Jay Van Arsdale, Contributing Editor, Hartley And Marks Publishers, 1987
- Design And Truth,Robt Grudin, Yale Univ Press, Isbn 978-0-300-17131-0, 2010
- Japanese Homes And Their Surroundings,Edward Morse, Dover, '61
- The Japanese Way Of The Artist-H.E.Davey, Stonebridge Press,2007
- Elements Of Japanese Design-Boye Demente, Tuttle,2006
- Japan-Ness In Japanese Architecture, Arata Isozake,Mit Press,2006
- Zen Architecture-The Building Process As Practice, Paul Discoe, Gibbs-Smith Publ., 2008
- The Way Of The Carpenter, Wm. Coaldrake, Weather Hill, 1990
- Just Enough-Azby Brown, Kodansha,Int. 2009
- The Genius Of Japanese Carpentry, Azby Brown, Kodansha Int., 1989
- Edo Craftsmen, Thomas Judge, Weatherhill, 1994
- The Japanese House, Henrich Engel, Tuttle, 1964
- Encyclopedia Of Wood Joints, Wolfram Graubner, Finewoodworking, 1992
- The Craft Of The Japanese Sword,Leon Knapp, Kodansha, Int., 1987
- The Unkown Craftsman, Soetsu Yanagi, Kodansha Int., 1972
- Japanese Cabinetry-The Art And Craft Of Tansu , David Jackson And Dane Owen , Gibbs Smith Pub. ,2002
- Building The Japanese House Today,Len Brackett, Abrams,2005
- Japan”S Folk Architecture-Trad. Thatched Farmhouses, Chuji Kawashima, Kodansha, Int. 1986
- Wood,Craft,Culture, History, Harvey Green,Penguin Books,2006
- The Secrets Of The Samurai Sword- Nova/ Pbs, 2006(Video)
- Japan's Clay Walls, Emily Reynolds, isbn-9781442145368, self publ. 2011